Browse through our blog postings below to learn more!
If you have any further questions, contact NorthShield directly to speak to a knowledgeable professional!
Winnipeg weather can be absolutely dazzling. However, the winters can prove to be pretty brutal, even if you’re someone who is used to cold and snow. Winnipeg winters can also add quite a bit to your monthly energy costs, as you struggle to keep warm.
Thankfully, there are several things you can do to get through the worst of the Winnipeg weather. One step involves replacing your current windows with something that is better suited to handle whatever the weather is going to throw at them.
Top Windows For Winnipeg Weather
There are a number of frame types that you can consider, in addition to different types of window glazing/glass. Choosing the perfect windows for your home doesn’t have to be impossible. We’re going to take a look at some of the best windows for Winnipeg weather. If you want to make your home more efficient, here are some options that you will want to consider:
- Windows with gas fills: Insulated glazing is just the beginning. There are a number of manufacturers that use inert gas for filling up the space between your panes. Argon is the most commonly utilized inert gas for windows with gas fills, but a few manufacturers prefer to use Krypton. In the end, one isn’t really better than the other. Make sure to talk to your contractor about this.
- Vinyl frames: While it is true that most windows are around 80% glass, you still want to take the type of frame you’re using seriously. You want to make sure you are working with a frame that will account for the other 20% of your window’s insulation capabilities. Wood and aluminum are two possibilities, but many homeowners and contractors ultimately prefer vinyl window frames. Made from PVC with UV stabilizers, vinyl frames don’t need to be painted. They also have great resistance to moisture. The hollowed-out cavities within your vinyl frames can also be filled with insulation.
- Triple pane windows: You can choose between double pane windows and triple pane windows, when it comes to the type of window you bring into your home. Triple pane windows come with a number of attractive, inherent benefits. These windows can be a little pricey, but you are talking about powerful, long-lasting windows for your home. They are also designed to optimize the overall insulation potential of your home.
- Awning/casement/fixed/hopper: There are several different options for window operating types. In terms of lowering the potential for leakage with your windows, you can choose between such possibilities as awning windows, casement windows, fixed windows, and hopper windows. Awning windows are hinged along the top, and you open them outwards. Casement windows are hinged along their sides, and they offer a wonderfully low air leakage rate. Fixed panes aren’t designed to open at all, while hopper windows have hinging along the bottom. They open outwards.
Windows Perfect For Winnipeg Weather
Winter can be a magical, beautiful time of the year. This is particularly true with Winnipeg winters. At the same time, winter can also be pretty brutal on your energy expenses. Putting in a little time and money now to get the best windows possible can go a long towards bringing those energy expenses down.
Just remember that windows are not the only step you can take, in terms of making your home more insulated and efficient. However, if you do only one thing for your home this winter, when it comes to getting ready for the season, we think windows should be at the top of your to-do list. To that end, you are going to want to consider all of the possibilities offered in the above paragraphs.