Browse through our blog postings below to learn more!
If you have any further questions, contact NorthShield directly to speak to a knowledgeable professional!
When you take care of your windows, they are going to take care of you. That sounds like a cliché, but it is true nonetheless. If you aren’t taking steps to properly care for your windows, then your windows quite simply aren’t going to be as efficient as you need them to be. They will not be properly prepared to optimize your insulation, which is a vital aspect to keeping your energy costs down. You also need your windows to help keep you warm and/or cool, depending on the time of the year.
While trusting the professionals for serious maintenance repairs/replacement work is always a good idea, there are still a number of care tips for windows that you can handle on your own.
5 Easy Ways To Take Care Of Your Windows
Taking care of your windows doesn’t have to be a huge deal. With that in mind, here are some suggestions to put you on the right path. Not only can these measures improve the functionality of your windows, but you will likely also improve the form of these windows, as well:
1. Rinse before you wash: Before you wash your windows with soap, make it a point to rinse down the entire window first. This is a good way to make sure you are removing the solid dirt that can scratch your windows. Over time, these scratches can become impossible to ignore. You can also accomplish a great deal by dusting your windows on a regular basis.
2. Microfiber cloths: Combine this with the right kind of soap, and you should be able to clean the area without too much trouble. Microfiber cloths are perfect for providing your windows with an effective-yet-gentle tool for cleaning your windows properly. One of the best things about these cloths is the fact that they aren’t very expensive either. Stay away from towels or clothes that feel a bit abrasive to the touch. Over time, the scratches and other forms of damage caused by such cloths/towels can shorten the lifespan of your windows to a significant degree.
3. Gentle soaps: Avoid solvent or petroleum-based cleaners. These contain chemicals that can seriously wear down and damage your windows over time. They also aren’t as effective as something that is designed to be much gentler. A 100% biodegradable soap might be your best bet. However, keep in mind that you have a number of options.
4. Don’t over-clean: Believe it or not, but there is such a thing as over-cleaning your windows. Even with the right tools and other materials, washing your windows several times a week, or even more than once per day, can cause your windows to become worn down-looking over time. Over-scrubbing can prove to be just as problematic as not cleaning your windows at all!
5. Don’t paint vinyl window frames: In the first place, painting your vinyl window frames will likely end with the paint peeling/falling off, after only a fairly short period of time has passed. Cleaning vinyl windows that have been painted can be difficult, as well. Still, vinyl can be ideal, particularly in terms of having so few demands for proper maintenance.
Simple Window Maintenance Tips
With the above five tips, keep in mind that this is only the beginning. In the end, there are a number of different things you can do, in order to ensure your windows look and function flawlessly for a very long time to come. Make sure you have the right tools for cleaning your windows. You will also want to know which products are best avoided.